Monday, November 30, 2009

The Kid Popping Out(Or Not)

So, in a previous post, I had mentioned that Trent popped out. And then I took it back and said that he didn't "pop" out. That it was a very long story for a different post. This is that post! There will be nothing gross, so don't be scared. More of a trip down memory lane for me.

Let me start at the beginning of June...

So, I went in for my 9-month appointment, which started my weeklies. I saw my doctor's NP because she was out of the country. Anyway, she checked me and said I was at a 1 and that she could feel Trent's head. Weird and awesome at the same time! My mom had gone with me since Chris had to work, and I was so glad to have her there. It was a little strange that she was there when Janet was checking me, but whatever. After my appointment, we went to Panera for breakfast. Yum! We talked about my grandpa, who was not doing well at all. A few years ago, he'd had quadruple bypass surgery, with great success. The past year or so, he'd been declining, and the hospice people had been called in. Not sure if you know what that means, but to us, it meant he didn't have much longer to be in this world. :(

The next week, after much discussion with Chris, I told my OB that I did not, under any circumstances, want to be induced. I'd just heard too many horror stories that resulted in cesareans. Not that I was opposed to that, I just wanted to do things as naturally as possible. That was a Wednesday.

Enter, the next Tuesday, when my mom called me at work(she really tries never to do this, because she just never knows when we'll be busy). She told me that Grandpa was REALLY bad, but that the hospice nurse told my grandma that he should make it to the end of the next week. My mom also told me that after he died, they would wait to go to Indiana so that they could spend extra time with the family. Since my due date was still 2 weeks away, and we all know first babies take their time, it seemed like everything would be fine. Well, the more I started thinking about it, the more I really felt God tugging at my heart. I asked Chris if, after we prayed about it, and I still felt the same way, would he be opposed to inducing? He said it was completely up to me. My thoughts here were that we could induce, and then since my grandpa would make it to the next weekend, my parents could meet Trent and then head out of town. Right then and there, I prayed for some sign to let me know it was alright to induce. I have to tell you that I did not get the sign right then. But I did call my mom and tell her we would induce if it meant they could leave sooner.

The next day was my 37 week appointment. Imagine my doctor's surprise when I told her I did, in fact, was to be induced! She was confused at first, but completely understood when I told her the situation. She wanted to check me to see where I was, and then gave the OK. We set up the induction date for June 24th.

Once I told people what we were doing, we got a lot of flack for it. Why not let the baby come naturally? Why do that to yourself? Why pump yourself full of synthetic hormones? I was a little miffed, but I knew that my doctor would not have OK'd the induction if she didn't think everything would be fine. I must also say that at my 36 week appointment, she told me that I may want to take back some of the newborn things we received because this baby was going to be big!

A couple of days later, my sister and her family were at our house painting the kitchen, when my mom called. She sounded very sad, and she said that my grandpa had passed away. What? I thought he was supposed to make it till the next weekend! She also told me that he'd said that he was going to leave this world so Trent could come in. Whoa, there's my sign! I must say here that my gramps was a Christian, and the closest person I know to being like Jesus. Never once did I ever hear him say a cross word about anyone. He always looked for the best in everyone, and often, that's what he got. He was a sweet, sweet man. Chris and I talked, and we decided to keep the induction date. I told my parents to go to Indiana, that Trent would be here when they got back. That is the hardest decision I've ever had to make, telling my family to go. But I knew that I would have the support of Chris, my sister, and Chris's family.

At my 38 week appointment, we got everything set up to come to the hospital on a Tuesday night to start Cervadil(something that thins out the cervix). They would start the Pitocin on Wednesday morning, the 24th.

Fast forward to Tuesday afternoon: Chris and I were getting everything packed, and then it hit us that this would be our last time in our house, just us. Never again would we not be parents. Never again would we be making decisions for just us. It was all very overwhelming. I was so antsy and excited though! We went to eat my "Last Supper" at Lemongrass Asian Bistro, my favorite Asian restaurant. Yum!!! Then we left like 2 hours before we even had to be at the hospital. We took the long way, and got there at 4, a full hour early. We headed to Barnes and Noble, where both of us looked at our watches continually for the next 45 minutes.

Finally, we got there and checked in. I had the Cervadil in all night and it was removed early Wednesday morning. Thirty minutes after the Pitocin was started, my contractions began. Yowzer! I made it through 2 1/2 hours of pretty hard contractions before I got my Epidural. Then I felt nothing. Wonderful drugs! When my doctor broke my water, she found Meconium in my amniotic fluid, meaning that Trent had pooped inside of me. If we'd waited until I'd gone into labor, Trent would have been a very sick little boy since he would have aspirated the meconium. Another sign!!! We had many visitors throughout the day, including Chris's parents, his brother and his family, and then his sister and her family. My sister was there also.

Around 5 pm, I started pushing. And I can say that I watch too much TV, because I honestly thought I would have 3 big pushes, and Trent would be in my arms. Yeah, not so much... Once I finally got the "pushing" down, we were good. I pushed till about 7:30, and Trent Rayner Mata made his entrance into our world at 7:32pm on June 24th. That morning, they'd buried my grandpa. So he really did leave this world so my sweet baby could come in.

No comments:

Post a Comment